One Point Dog



For those of you that know me, (now don't be a hater) I DON'T LOVE ANIMALS. I mean every little tiny baby thing human,animal or otherwise is cute, but that doesn't mean that I have to own one. I can appreciate the "cuteness" by looking only. I can goo, and gaa, and walk away a happy camper with no pet in arms. Knowing this, it still puzzles me how early in September somehow a dog ended up being a part of our family.

First, we know nothing about taking care of a dog. Knowing this, we took the dog to the vet like good owners are supposed to, and were told to bring her back in a couple months for her follow up shot. Now at this visit apparently there were lots of issues discussed (I was not instrumental in bringing the dog home, and informed the family, I would not be instrumental in its care, so I learn of this only second hand.) How is it then that they (being the vet) failed to mention that we should have our dog fixed ASAP? How is it that they didn't mention that the dog would be a miserable mess once she was in heat, and that to fix that same dog while in heat would cost me more money? Then there is the whole issue of explaining to your 6 year old what is going on with the dog, and no she is not dieing. Since my dear husband brought this problem into our home, I figured that I would allow him to do the explaining.

As I was preparing dinner later that evening,Landon comes to me and asks, "Mom so when are we getting Bailey neutralized?" The confused look on my face prompted Landon to try again rephrasing, in hopes to bring clarity to me. "Mom, you know...what happens when Bailey is neutralized, will she be all better?" It is then the light bulb turns on. The child wants to know about the dog being neutered. Okay, so the dog gets one point, her problem brought a smile to my face, thanks to a silly boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment